As at January 2017, Australia’s convention bureaux had secured 384 international business events on the Forward Calendar/ into the future. A 7% increase from the position 6 months ago.
• Attracting an estimated 216,500 international delegates (14% increase)
• Total estimated delegate expenditure = $863m (11% increase)
Main reasons for success include:
• Strong bid team – professionalism of bid delivery including bid leader, local support, convention bureau or lobbying activities
• Geographic preference – Australia is a safe and highly desirable destination to host an international event and visit as a delegate
• Financial packages offered – State and local government investment in event procurement
Top 3 industry sectors attracted by number of events:
• Health Care & Social Services (1 in 4 business events)
• Professional, Scientific & Technical Services (1 in 6 business events)
• Information Media and & Telecommunications (1 in 12 business events) – Financial and Insurance Services is 3rd if measured by expected delegate numbers.
However, to achieve this success, we have incurred 296 losses.
• This translates to an estimated $1b in delegate expenditure that will be spent in other countries
• International business events attract high yielding visitors and are therefore highly sought after by other countries
• Key reasons for loss = geographic location (distance), executive influence/politics and total cost
The opportunity for future success remains in our healthy bid pipeline with 223 international bids in play, valued at approximately $485m.